The 2nd International OTEC Symposium will be hosted from June 15 to June 18, 2014 by the Korean Institute of Ocean Science and Technology (KIOST) Deep Ocean Water Application Research Center (DOWARC) OTEC Team as a special session of the 24th International Offshore(Ocean) and Polar Engineering Conference(ISOPE) 2014 in Busan, Korea. The Symposium will provide a platform for information exchange and discussion, and will identify steps to OTEC commercialisation for public and industrial sectors. Participants will have the opportunity to identify and discuss areas of mutual interest between nations, developers, and researchers for collaboration on future OTEC developments and studies. It is a great opportunity to step forward for OTEC development by sharing your valuable ideas. The due date for abstract submission is November 20, 2013. Submitting abstract is in the process online through the official website below.
The 2nd International OTEC Symposium in Busan is the sequel of the 1st International OTEC Symposium successfully held in Honolulu, Hawaii last September. Here are the topics the symposium covers.
Policies & Finance
- Building government support
- Opportunities in international cooperation
- Creation of OTEC roadmap
- Public/Private financing sources
- Finance structures for OTEC
- Environmentally friendly working fluids
- Efficient system cycles
- Improved anti-corrosion heat exchangers
- High efficiency turbine generators
- Improved larger-diameter pipes
- Improved OTEC system integration
- Environmental Monitoring
- Ecological & System Modelling
- Environmental Impact Studies
Projects & Opportunities
- Global OTEC case-studies
- Global Seawater air conditioning case-studies
- Current OTEC development projects
- Alternate deep ocean water/system use
Also, KIOST DOWARC field trip is included as a program of the symposium from June 19 to June 20, 2014. In Goseong, Gangwon province, KIOST OTEC team is in the process of building 20kW OTEC pilot plant for public demonstration. After conference, attendees will be offered transportation from Busan to Goseong and can visit KIOST DOWARC to see how OTEC has been developed in Korea.